Friday, February 4, 2011

"The Week" (Day 3)


I've built a cardboard prototype. It might not look like much, but it took a while to find the right box / the right plastic lining / the right dirt.

First I spent an hour at the local hardware store trying to find the right kind of dirt. (Why use plastic beads when you can just use dirt?) I was thinking about using perlite because it was coarse and dry enough to roll down into pits that players dig, but the gardening dude advised against it because it was white (dirt usually isn't white) and it was really dusty. I ended up getting some potting soil, thinking that would be crumbly enough for my initial design. It wasn't.

So now that I've done some actual prototyping, I'm realizing that I have to re-visit my original design and changes the ruleset. In game design, we usually just play around with the materials to see what interesting interactions emerge, then try to build rules that promote those interactions. We'll see what happens I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment